LOGAN — Anthony DiLoreto, a promising but troubled 7-foot-1 redshirt freshman, has been dismissed from the Utah State basketball team.
"We were considering the possibility of Anthony being reinstated to our program," said USU coach Stew Morrill. "Unfortunately, he has failed to meet the established criteria necessary to return as a player at Utah State."
DiLoreto arrived at Utah State under a cloud of controversy following his arrest and guilty plea concerning a botched bank robbery in Wisconsin. He was the get-away driver in a robbery in which a friend was involved.
While in Logan as a redshirt, DiLoreto was later suspended from team activities during the season after he was cited for possession of marijuana.
His release leaves Utah State possibly looking for another big man to provide depth behind the trio of Nate Bendall, Tai Wesley and Brady Jardine. At 7-1, DiLoreto would have provided a long defensive presence like USU has not enjoyed in several years.
As a prep senior at Hopkins High School, DiLoreto averaged 8.2 points and 8.0 rebounds per game as he helped lead the Royals to a 27-2 record.
DiLoreto is the fourth player to either leave the team or be dismissed following the recently completed 27-8 campaing that saw the Aggies win a third consecutive WAC regular season title. Sophomore Tyrone White and juniors Modou Niang and Jaxon Myaer had previously left the team for various reasons.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45