— Pete Witbeck, the right hand man of BYU athletic directors Glen
Tuckett, Rondo Fehlberg and Val Hale, died here Wednesday. He was 81.
spent a 47-year career at BYU which included an assignment as assistant
basketball coach to Stan Watts and ended as a senior associate athletic
He served as the BYU
athletic department's NCAA compliance officer, game manager and during
football he was often working as the get-back coach on the sidelines,
keeping players and coaches within the box. He was instrumental in
planning an executing many facets of BYU's sports programs the past 25
A native of Canada, Witbeck
received his bachelor's and master's degrees at BYU and became a
faculty member in the university's department of physical education. He
worked as BYU's freshman basketball coach and accepted a full-time
assistant coaching job with Watts in 1962 where he worked with the
offense and recruiting coordinator.
enjoyed fitness and exercise and could be seen jogging around Provo,
working out in the Smith Fieldhouse or running in the pool in the
training room on campus as recent as this winter.
Witbeck is a member of BYU's athletic Hall of Fame. Funeral services will be announced by Berg Mortunary.
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- Stewart has brought back an identity —...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- Penn State defeats Stanford, will meet BYU...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 59
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 44
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31