— Pete Witbeck, the right hand man of BYU athletic directors Glen
Tuckett, Rondo Fehlberg and Val Hale, died here Wednesday. He was 81.
spent a 47-year career at BYU which included an assignment as assistant
basketball coach to Stan Watts and ended as a senior associate athletic
He served as the BYU
athletic department's NCAA compliance officer, game manager and during
football he was often working as the get-back coach on the sidelines,
keeping players and coaches within the box. He was instrumental in
planning an executing many facets of BYU's sports programs the past 25
A native of Canada, Witbeck
received his bachelor's and master's degrees at BYU and became a
faculty member in the university's department of physical education. He
worked as BYU's freshman basketball coach and accepted a full-time
assistant coaching job with Watts in 1962 where he worked with the
offense and recruiting coordinator.
enjoyed fitness and exercise and could be seen jogging around Provo,
working out in the Smith Fieldhouse or running in the pool in the
training room on campus as recent as this winter.
Witbeck is a member of BYU's athletic Hall of Fame. Funeral services will be announced by Berg Mortunary.
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 105
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 35
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 32
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 16
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 14