— Pete Witbeck, the right hand man of BYU athletic directors Glen
Tuckett, Rondo Fehlberg and Val Hale, died here Wednesday. He was 81.
spent a 47-year career at BYU which included an assignment as assistant
basketball coach to Stan Watts and ended as a senior associate athletic
He served as the BYU
athletic department's NCAA compliance officer, game manager and during
football he was often working as the get-back coach on the sidelines,
keeping players and coaches within the box. He was instrumental in
planning an executing many facets of BYU's sports programs the past 25
A native of Canada, Witbeck
received his bachelor's and master's degrees at BYU and became a
faculty member in the university's department of physical education. He
worked as BYU's freshman basketball coach and accepted a full-time
assistant coaching job with Watts in 1962 where he worked with the
offense and recruiting coordinator.
enjoyed fitness and exercise and could be seen jogging around Provo,
working out in the Smith Fieldhouse or running in the pool in the
training room on campus as recent as this winter.
Witbeck is a member of BYU's athletic Hall of Fame. Funeral services will be announced by Berg Mortunary.
- Morning links: Taysom Hill profiled by ESPN;...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Flaming spears, furry mascots and drum lines:...
- Which returned missionaries will make the...
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has...
- Live blog: Utah opens year with victory over...
- Special teams makes big plays as Utah State...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 78
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 71
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to... 55
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 43
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 32
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 29