August Miller, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Andrei Kirilenko sat out again Friday night and still isn't sure when he'll be ready to return from the strained calf that's now kept him out of 21 of the Jazz's last 23 regular-season and postseason games.
"If only brain can play, you know, I'll be there," he said. "My brain is in good shape and ready."
But the calf, which has been strained in three different muscle spots?
"I'm feeling better and better," said Kirilenko, the Jazz's usual starting small forward. "I start moving way more."
Kirilenko, who watched Game 6 of Utah's first-round playoff series with Denver from behind the Jazz bench, suggested he could be ready to play again as soon as Sunday.
"I hope," he said.
"Endurance is getting better," Kirilenko added after Friday's morning shootaround. "I can survive way more time on the floor without getting my calf tired — so, again, I feel like it's going in the right direction, better and better."
Asked Friday how difficult it is to return from injury, Kirilenko grimaced and shrugged.
"I played nine years in the league," he said, "and you kind of get used to it.
"But you have to make sure your body's right. ... If you feel something wrong, you know you're not going to be able to help much. You're going to be thinking about that every time."
Contributing: Jody Genessy
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- Tempers flare in Jazz's physical overtime win...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 61
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- Utah Utes football: The California... 28
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 25
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22