August Miller, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Andrei Kirilenko sat out again Friday night and still isn't sure when he'll be ready to return from the strained calf that's now kept him out of 21 of the Jazz's last 23 regular-season and postseason games.
"If only brain can play, you know, I'll be there," he said. "My brain is in good shape and ready."
But the calf, which has been strained in three different muscle spots?
"I'm feeling better and better," said Kirilenko, the Jazz's usual starting small forward. "I start moving way more."
Kirilenko, who watched Game 6 of Utah's first-round playoff series with Denver from behind the Jazz bench, suggested he could be ready to play again as soon as Sunday.
"I hope," he said.
"Endurance is getting better," Kirilenko added after Friday's morning shootaround. "I can survive way more time on the floor without getting my calf tired — so, again, I feel like it's going in the right direction, better and better."
Asked Friday how difficult it is to return from injury, Kirilenko grimaced and shrugged.
"I played nine years in the league," he said, "and you kind of get used to it.
"But you have to make sure your body's right. ... If you feel something wrong, you know you're not going to be able to help much. You're going to be thinking about that every time."
Contributing: Jody Genessy
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 143
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 106
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 91
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 56
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 27
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24