August Miller, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Andrei Kirilenko sat out again Friday night and still isn't sure when he'll be ready to return from the strained calf that's now kept him out of 21 of the Jazz's last 23 regular-season and postseason games.
"If only brain can play, you know, I'll be there," he said. "My brain is in good shape and ready."
But the calf, which has been strained in three different muscle spots?
"I'm feeling better and better," said Kirilenko, the Jazz's usual starting small forward. "I start moving way more."
Kirilenko, who watched Game 6 of Utah's first-round playoff series with Denver from behind the Jazz bench, suggested he could be ready to play again as soon as Sunday.
"I hope," he said.
"Endurance is getting better," Kirilenko added after Friday's morning shootaround. "I can survive way more time on the floor without getting my calf tired — so, again, I feel like it's going in the right direction, better and better."
Asked Friday how difficult it is to return from injury, Kirilenko grimaced and shrugged.
"I played nine years in the league," he said, "and you kind of get used to it.
"But you have to make sure your body's right. ... If you feel something wrong, you know you're not going to be able to help much. You're going to be thinking about that every time."
Contributing: Jody Genessy
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 64
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22