The last word Big Sky defenses and special teams would have used in describing Weber State's Tim Toone is irrelevant.
But in the world of the National Football League and its draft, Toone is "Mr. Irrelevant."
Toone was the last player selected in the NFL draft on Saturday, as the Detroit Lions took him with the 255th overall pick. As the NFL's Mr. Irrelevant, Toone will spend a week in Newport, Calif. and participate in events such as a golf tournament. He'll also be given a "Lowsman Trophy," which is a model of a player fumbling a football.
It's all in good fun, and Toone is proud to be drafted by an NFL team, no matter the round or pick it ended up being.
"I was super excited and relieved, and I don't know, I feel honored to be Mr. Irrelevant, but also to get drafted," Toone said in a conference call shortly after Detroit picked him.
Toone has the chance to make the Lions' roster as both a receiver and kick returner. He returned a punt for a 95-yard touchdown and another for a 90-yard score during his senior season with the Wildcats. He led the nation in punt returns with an average of 19.9 yards per return during the 2009 season.
Detroit might just be the dream opportunity for Toone. The Lions, outside of Calvin Johnson, aren't exactly loaded at receiver. Toone was the only receiver Detroit picked in the draft. He finished his collegiate career at Weber State as the school's career receiving leader in yards, touchdowns, and receptions.
Weber State coach Ron McBride said Toone "absolutely" has a chance to make it with the Lions.
"I think he'll do real well," he said. "He's got great hands and speed. He knows how to get to the open area and make plays. He'll represent Weber State and himself real well."
Toone is Weber State's second Mr. Irrelevant. Tight end Cam Quayle earned the honor in 1998.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- 'Heart-to-heart' talk between Krystkowiak and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks edged out at UCLA...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 100
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 58
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 30
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29