As a delegate representing University of Utah students, I will be supporting Sen. Bob Bennett at the state Republican convention. I was dismayed at the incivility of many of the attendees at the campaign event I attended. My generation is loath to participate in politics because our impression is of angry people yelling at each other and accomplishing very little. When I saw Sen. Bennett in person, I was impressed by his honesty, his even temper and his extensive knowledge of history and the Constitution.
It will be a sad day if Utahns choose to throw out an experienced, conservative senator simply because of the anti-incumbent anger sweeping our country. He is one of the good guys. We'll lose his influence on the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, the Senate Banking Committee and the Senate Rules Committee. In exchange, we will have sent an angry message to Washington, but we will also have a rookie senator in the minority party who may be well-intentioned but realistically will be able to accomplish very little.
Salt Lake City
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Letter: Methane benefits
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 60
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 44
- Letter: Human body 41
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 26
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25