DALLAS — A former BYU football recruit who at one time faced felony charges in a 2004 Provo rape case is being held in the Dallas County Jail on $1 million bail in connection with a shooting death.
Two Texas men — Karland Bennett, 25, of Dallas, and Robert Dale Knox, 22, of Garland — are accused of abducting, robbing and shooting a 27-year-old man Friday night.
In reporting the arrests and charges, the Dallas Morning News added that the pair have both faced numerous previous charges in the county.
Witnesses told Dallas detectives they saw the victim forced into a car by Bennett, Knox and a third unidentified man, with the victim found later in an alley, having been shot multiple times.
Police tracked the car and detained Bennett, who they said had a gun and the victim's cell phone. He also later pulled from his sock a ring belonging to the victim.
Bennett was one of four 2004 BYU football recruits charged in the August 2004 rape of a 17-year-old girl in a Provo apartment. The incident occurred at an off-campus party involving incoming freshmen one night before the players began fall football camp.
All four later withdrew from BYU, and Utah County's first-ever grand jury indicted the four for allegedly sexually assaulting the teenager and attempting to cover it up.
Bennett originally negotiated with prosecutors to testify against others charged, pleading guilty to reduced charges instead of going to trial on aggravated sex-abuse charges. Another was tried as a juvenile in exchange for his testimony at trial.
When the two who went to trial were found not guilty in 2005, Bennett and his attorney withdrew the guilty plea in early 2006, saying the agreement promised Bennett a sentence no harsher than what the other two would face.
In May 2006, the felony charges against Bennett, then 21, were dropped, as government prosecutors said the victim didn't want to take the stand again in another trial.
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- Several early season game times set for Utah,...
- Brad Rock: Haws family has worldview on...
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes in on...
- Morning links: Are Aussies the NBA's secret...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 124
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 38
- Several early season game times set for... 31
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes... 17
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 13