After he was granted emeritus status, he
served as president of the Jordan River Temple from 1990 to 1993.
Following that call, he was a sealing supervisor in the Mount Timpanogos
Temple and a patriarch in the Alpine Utah West Stake, from 2003 until
He was sometimes described as a quiet
man, soft-spoken and deliberate, but one who displayed a sense of
Born June 8, 1918, in
Granger, he was the second of 11 children to William Henry and Isabelle
Bawden Bangerter. He was afflicted with polio as a child, but suffered
no long-term effects. He was called as a regional representative for the
church in 1967.
He served a first mission to Brazil from
1939-1941, later served as bishop of the Granger 1st Ward, as president
of the North Jordan Stake and served on the church's home teaching
He also spent four years in the armed
forces, becoming a U.S. Army Air Force pilot and training squadron
Elder Bangerter once served as vice
chairman of Pioneer Welfare Region, a member of the executive committee
of the board of trustees at LDS Hospital and as chairman of the Magna
and Granger seminary boards.
His professional career was farming and
also in the building and contracting business. He was considered an
He attended Cyprus High School and earned
a bachelor's degree from the University of Utah (1945-48), graduating
with honors. He had also done graduate work there, with a major in
He married his first wife, Mildred Lee
Schwantes, in 1944 and they were the parents of four children, one of
whom died at birth. His first wife died of leukemia in 1952. He married
Geraldine Hamblin in 1953 and they were the parents of seven children.
Funeral services will be held Saturday,
April 24, at 11 a.m. in the American Fork Tabernacle, 110 E. Main,
Friends may call Friday, April 23, from 6
to 8 p.m. at the Alpine Stake Center, 98 E. Canyon Crest Road, Alpine,
or at the American Fork Tabernacle from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., prior to
services. Burial will be at Salt Lake City's Elysian Burial Gardens.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Living — or dying — with...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 268
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 98
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 87
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 70
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 62
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35