SALT LAKE CITY — Nansy Damianova, a 2008 Olympian with Canada, has signed a national letter of intent with the University of Utah gymnastics team, Ute co-head coaches Greg and Megan Mardsen announced Thursday.
Damianova will join the Utes next fall, bringing with her an impressive resume that includes the lofty title of "Olympic athlete."
"Nansy is exactly the kind of athlete we need to keep this program competitive at the highest level," said Greg Marsden in a press release. "She has been well coached, has already accomplished great things and has experience in big-meet pressure situations.
"She is a beautiful athlete who loves to perform on the sport's biggest stages. … (She is) a perfect fit for Utah."
The Red Rocks are currently getting ready for the NCAA national championship meet next week in Florida.
Beginning next year, they'll have the addition of Damianova.
Originally born in Paris and raised by parents who both competed for the Bulgarian National team in rowing and taekwondo, respectively, Damianova has competed in the 2006 Pacific Alliance Championships, the 2006 Junior Pan Am Championships, the 2007 World Championships and the 2008 Pac Rim Championships, besides competing at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and in several Canadian national championships.
"I'm very happy and proud to join Utah's prestigious gymnastics program," Damianova said in a release.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22