TUPELO, Miss. — Green Day, former 'N Sync member Lance Bass and celebrity chef Cat Cora are among those helping to pay for a gay-friendly prom in Mississippi next month.
Organizers say the event is open to everyone but geared toward gay students.
The American Humanist Association also will contribute $20,000 for the May 8 event in Tupelo.
The annual prom is organized by the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition. This year's event has drawn attention because of the case of Constance McMillen, a high school senior who challenged her school district's rule banning same-sex dates at proms.
Coalition spokesman Matthew Sheffield says plans for the event haven't been completed. He says Bass, who is gay, is among the celebrities expected to attend.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- NBC announces lead for live musical 'Peter Pan'
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1