Steve Baker, Deseret News
From the parking area, walk toward the opening in the chain-link fence. Through the fence is an information board. Take a moment to get acquainted with the trail system and read the rules and regulations about hiking on Antelope Island. After leaving the information board, the trail splits quickly; go right heading south. The White Rock Trail starts on a service road. The windy day I hiked the trail, the grass was making waves up the hillside. Small songbirds darted in and out of the waves, letting us know their presence. The trail climbs gently and arrives at a sitting bench. Take a needed break on the bench and enjoy the western view overlooking the Great Salt Lake. At the bench, look for bison grazing on the hills behind you. Leaving the bench, you pass by a lone tree, and the trail heads into a rocky outcrop. At the top of the outcrop, you see Elephant Head in front of you. At the junction for Elephant Head, go right. Hikers are not allowed to climb to the top of Elephant Head. The trail goes around the west side of the mountain and overlooks the lake. Chukars scurry among the rocks as you relax and kick back.
Directions: From I-15, take Exit 332 at Syracuse. Go west on Antelope Drive to the causeway. At the fee station, you will receive a road and trail map with your entrance fee.
Destination ... Island views
Difficulty ... Moderate
Round trip miles ... 8.7 miles
Hiking time ... 4 to 5 hours
Elevation gain ... 610 feet
Trailhead restrooms ... Yes
Entrance fee ... $9
Dogs allowed ... Yes, on leash
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21