Steve Baker, Deseret News
From the parking area, walk toward the opening in the chain-link fence. Through the fence is an information board. Take a moment to get acquainted with the trail system and read the rules and regulations about hiking on Antelope Island. After leaving the information board, the trail splits quickly; go right heading south. The White Rock Trail starts on a service road. The windy day I hiked the trail, the grass was making waves up the hillside. Small songbirds darted in and out of the waves, letting us know their presence. The trail climbs gently and arrives at a sitting bench. Take a needed break on the bench and enjoy the western view overlooking the Great Salt Lake. At the bench, look for bison grazing on the hills behind you. Leaving the bench, you pass by a lone tree, and the trail heads into a rocky outcrop. At the top of the outcrop, you see Elephant Head in front of you. At the junction for Elephant Head, go right. Hikers are not allowed to climb to the top of Elephant Head. The trail goes around the west side of the mountain and overlooks the lake. Chukars scurry among the rocks as you relax and kick back.
Directions: From I-15, take Exit 332 at Syracuse. Go west on Antelope Drive to the causeway. At the fee station, you will receive a road and trail map with your entrance fee.
Destination ... Island views
Difficulty ... Moderate
Round trip miles ... 8.7 miles
Hiking time ... 4 to 5 hours
Elevation gain ... 610 feet
Trailhead restrooms ... Yes
Entrance fee ... $9
Dogs allowed ... Yes, on leash
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25