HERRIMAN — A prank by a customer at a Mountain America Credit Union branch turned foul Tuesday when the teller who smelled the noxious fume became sick.

Hazmat crews were called to the credit union at 13389 S. 5600 West where police say a 21-year-old man sprayed a stream of foul-smelling liquid from a prank product into the tube at the drive-through window. About 5 p.m., a teller on the other end received the tube, smelled it and started vomiting.

According to a Web site about the prank product, the spray isn't harmful but emits a foul smell into the air.

"It was very poor judgment on the prankster's part," said Unified Police Lt. Jason Johnson. "You just don't know when you do these things what the reaction will be."

Unified police responded and were able to track down the prankster based on his transaction information and ended up booking Preston Barlow into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of disorderly conduct, obstructing justice and other citations.

— Lana Groves