"And then the mortal mission of the Savior of the world drew to its close. A last supper with His apostles took place in an upper room. Ahead lay Gethsemane and Calvary's cross.
"No mere mortal can conceive the full import of what Christ did for us in Gethsemane," said President Monson.
Following the Agony of Gethsemane, the Savior was seized by rough, crude hands and accused and cursed. "Finally, on a hill called Calvary, while helpless followers looked on, His wounded body was nailed to a cross. Mercilessly, He was mocked and cursed and derided."
President Monson said that at the last minute the Master could have turned back, but He did not. "He passed beneath all things, that He might save all things. His lifeless body was hurriedly but gently placed in a borrowed tomb.
"No words in Christendom mean more to me than those spoken by the angel to the weeping Mary Magdalene and the other Mary when, on the first day of the week, they approached the tomb to care for the body of their Lord. Spoke the angel, 'Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen.'
"Our Savior lived again. The most glorious, comforting and reassuring of all events of human history had taken place — the victory over death. The pain and agony of Gethsemane and Calvary had been wiped away. The salvation of mankind had been secured. That Fall of Adam had been reclaimed."
President Monson said he has read and believes the testimonies of those who experienced the grief of Christ's crucifixion and the joy of His resurrection. "I have read — and I believe — the testimonies of those in the New World who were visited by the same risen Lord."
The darkness of death can always be dispelled by the light of revealed truth, President Monson said.
"My beloved brothers and sisters, in our hour of deepest sorrow, we can receive profound peace from the words of the angel that first Easter morning, 'He is not here: for he is risen.' ... As one of His special witnesses on earth today, this glorious Easter Sunday, I declare that this is true."
To watch this talk on video go to ksl.com.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12