President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: 'You are my hands'
The brothers separately went out in the middle of the night to transfer part of their harvest to the other brother's pile under the cloak of darkness. When they ran into each other on another night and realized what they were attempting to do for each other, they wept and embraced.
"This is the spirit of compassion: that we love others as ourselves (see Matthew 22:39), seek their happiness, and do unto them as we hope they would do unto us (see Matthew 7:12)," President Uchtdorf said.
'True love requires action'
Just as faith without works is dead, so also is love meaningless absent action.
"True love requires action," President Uchtdorf said. "We can speak of love all day long — we can write notes or poems that proclaim it, sing songs that praise it and preach sermons that encourage it — but until we manifest that love in action, our words are nothing but 'sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal' (1 Corinthians 13:1). …
"Christ knows how to minister to others perfectly. When the Savior stretches out His hands, those He touches are uplifted and become greater, stronger and better people as a result. If we are His hands, should we not do the same?"
'We can love as He does'
By loving as God loves, we will live in fulfillment of the plan of salvation, President Uchtdorf declared.
"Love is what inspired our Heavenly Father to create our spirits; it is what led our Savior to the Garden of Gethsemane to make Himself a ransom for our sins," he said. "Love is the grand motive of the plan of salvation; it is the source of happiness, the ever-renewing spring of healing, the precious fountain of hope.
"As we extend our hands and hearts towards others in Christlike love, something wonderful happens to us. Our own spirits become healed, more refined, and stronger. We become happier, more peaceful, and more receptive to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit."
To watch this talk on video go to ksl.com.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 27
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 15
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 15