Ex-DUI squad commander Fred Swain pleads guilty to DUI
ST. GEORGE — The former commander of the Utah Highway Patrol's DUI squad has admitted to operating a tractor-trailer while impaired.
Fred S. Swain, 45, pleaded guilty in Washington County Justice Court on March 17 to DUI, a class B misdemeanor. A misdemeanor charge for being an alcohol-restricted driver was dismissed.
Swain was arrested Nov. 16 at the port of entry on northbound I-15 near St. George after personnel there said they smelled an odor of alcohol and noticed other indicators of impairment when Swain entered the office to file his paperwork.
A trooper was called to the scene and asked Swain to submit to a breath test and complete standard field sobriety tests. Swain refused the request, UHP Sgt. Jeff Nigbur said.
Swain resigned from the UHP in 2006 after he was involved in a crash in his unmarked patrol car. A portable breath test showed a blood alcohol level of 0.116, more than Utah's 0.08 legal limit. He pleaded guilty in March 2008 to a class B misdemeanor charge of alcohol-related reckless driving. He was sentenced to a suspended term of 180 days in jail, put on probation for 12 months and ordered to pay a $782 fine.
Following his March 17 guilty plea, Swain was ordered to serve 10 days in jail, pay a $1,540 fine and spend 12 months on probation.
— Geoff Liesik
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 15
- Can police-community relations be... 14