WASHINGTON — Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, really doesn't like the Democrats' new health care reform law, so he and 11 other Senate Republicans introduced a bill Tuesday to repeal it.
Of course, that bill may not have much chance of passing, since Congress just passed the law it is intended to repeal. But the introduction gave Republicans another opportunity to say how much they hate the new law.
"Today, President (Barack) Obama blatantly ignored the voices of Americans by signing into law a costly and irresponsible piece of legislation that is littered with special deals and tax hikes," Bennett said.
"I refuse to turn my back on Utahns and Americans who do not want this government takeover of health care forced upon them," he said. "This is why I am fighting to repeal the Democrats' bill and work to give Americans the kind of reform that will truly address a broken health care system and bring down costs."
Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., introduced the bill. It was co-sponsored by Bennett and Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.; Kit Bond, R-Mo.; Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga.; Mike Crapo, R-Idaho; John Ensign, R-Nev.; Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas; James Inhofe, R-Okla.; George LeMieux, R-Fla.; James Risch, R-Idaho; Pat Roberts, R-Kan.; and David Vitter, R-La.
"This fight isn't over yet," DeMint said. "Republicans are standing with the American people who are demanding we repeal this intolerable act."
This story was reported from Salt Lake City.
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19