WASHINGTON — Sen. Bob Bennett, R-Utah, really doesn't like the Democrats' new health care reform law, so he and 11 other Senate Republicans introduced a bill Tuesday to repeal it.
Of course, that bill may not have much chance of passing, since Congress just passed the law it is intended to repeal. But the introduction gave Republicans another opportunity to say how much they hate the new law.
"Today, President (Barack) Obama blatantly ignored the voices of Americans by signing into law a costly and irresponsible piece of legislation that is littered with special deals and tax hikes," Bennett said.
"I refuse to turn my back on Utahns and Americans who do not want this government takeover of health care forced upon them," he said. "This is why I am fighting to repeal the Democrats' bill and work to give Americans the kind of reform that will truly address a broken health care system and bring down costs."
Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., introduced the bill. It was co-sponsored by Bennett and Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.; Kit Bond, R-Mo.; Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga.; Mike Crapo, R-Idaho; John Ensign, R-Nev.; Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas; James Inhofe, R-Okla.; George LeMieux, R-Fla.; James Risch, R-Idaho; Pat Roberts, R-Kan.; and David Vitter, R-La.
"This fight isn't over yet," DeMint said. "Republicans are standing with the American people who are demanding we repeal this intolerable act."
This story was reported from Salt Lake City.
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Redefining college: How associate degrees...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Q and A: The business of being Moab
- Motorcyclist dies after collision near Utah Lake
- Job A Day program gives homeless people...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15
- Second student sues district over... 14