BYU football: Coaches like what they see from Jake Heaps
"It's hard to remember sometimes that he's a true freshman," Mendenhall said. "He's a true freshman that's practiced with us five days. For him to be performing the way that he is, I've been very, very impressed. Not to say James and Riley aren't doing a good job. To me, just the thought that he's a true freshman and five practices in the spring and he has the poise and the confidence and execution that he has so far has been impressive."
QUARTERBACK UPDATE: Heaps stood out Tuesday during 11-on-11 drills, engineering an 83-yard touchdown drive during a two-minute offense situation. He completed 7 of 7 passes in a drive that culminated with a 7-yard touchdown toss to Spencer Hafoka. Heaps also completed passes to O'Neill Chambers, Matt Marshall, Marcus Mathews, and McKay Jacobson on that drive. On the day, Heaps finished 9-9 for 97 yards.
During their respective drives, Nelson and Lark mostly handed off to the running backs.
ANAE UPDATE: Freshman offensive lineman Famika Anae suffered an ACL injury to his knee, Mendenhall confirmed Tuesday. The injury occurred during Monday's practice. Anae underwent surgery Tuesday and will redshirt this year.
PUNT RETURNS: Redshirt freshman wide receiver J.D. Falslev will likely be BYU's punt returner next fall, Mendenhall said, which would allow Chambers to focus on kickoff returns.
"He's really good catching the ball, he's absolutely trustworthy, and usually makes the first guy miss," Mendenhall said of Falslev, a 5-foot-8, 173-pounder from Sky View High in Logan.
SPRING GAME: For a couple of months, Mendenhall has said he wasn't sure about staging a spring game because of the lack of healthy offensive linemen.
Tuesday the coach said he's leaning toward holding an "open practice format" rather than a scrimmage.
"We might do some kind of scoring with 7-on-7," he said. "I don't know. I'm going to try to make it as appealing as possible if people want to come watch. Right now, it's too early to say."
The spring game is scheduled for April 10.
THE GREAT INDOORS: Due to the wind and cold temperatures, BYU practiced inside the Indoor Practice Facility Tuesday for the first time this spring.
The Cougars won't practice again until Friday.
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Salt Lake City's Smyth reclaims 10K title,...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 106
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 84
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 60
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 48
- ACC media days has some interesting... 45
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 27
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24