BYU football: Coaches like what they see from Jake Heaps
"It's hard to remember sometimes that he's a true freshman," Mendenhall said. "He's a true freshman that's practiced with us five days. For him to be performing the way that he is, I've been very, very impressed. Not to say James and Riley aren't doing a good job. To me, just the thought that he's a true freshman and five practices in the spring and he has the poise and the confidence and execution that he has so far has been impressive."
QUARTERBACK UPDATE: Heaps stood out Tuesday during 11-on-11 drills, engineering an 83-yard touchdown drive during a two-minute offense situation. He completed 7 of 7 passes in a drive that culminated with a 7-yard touchdown toss to Spencer Hafoka. Heaps also completed passes to O'Neill Chambers, Matt Marshall, Marcus Mathews, and McKay Jacobson on that drive. On the day, Heaps finished 9-9 for 97 yards.
During their respective drives, Nelson and Lark mostly handed off to the running backs.
ANAE UPDATE: Freshman offensive lineman Famika Anae suffered an ACL injury to his knee, Mendenhall confirmed Tuesday. The injury occurred during Monday's practice. Anae underwent surgery Tuesday and will redshirt this year.
PUNT RETURNS: Redshirt freshman wide receiver J.D. Falslev will likely be BYU's punt returner next fall, Mendenhall said, which would allow Chambers to focus on kickoff returns.
"He's really good catching the ball, he's absolutely trustworthy, and usually makes the first guy miss," Mendenhall said of Falslev, a 5-foot-8, 173-pounder from Sky View High in Logan.
SPRING GAME: For a couple of months, Mendenhall has said he wasn't sure about staging a spring game because of the lack of healthy offensive linemen.
Tuesday the coach said he's leaning toward holding an "open practice format" rather than a scrimmage.
"We might do some kind of scoring with 7-on-7," he said. "I don't know. I'm going to try to make it as appealing as possible if people want to come watch. Right now, it's too early to say."
The spring game is scheduled for April 10.
THE GREAT INDOORS: Due to the wind and cold temperatures, BYU practiced inside the Indoor Practice Facility Tuesday for the first time this spring.
The Cougars won't practice again until Friday.
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven teams...
- BYU Cougars finish year with five ranked...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 101
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 86
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 23