The Utah women's basketball team hopes to extend its season Tuesday when it faces the California Golden Bears in a WNIT matchup that looks good for the Utes on paper.
Utah is shooting 42 percent from the field to Cal's 39.5 percent, and the Utes' defense is holding teams to a mere 55 points per game.
However, the game will be played on the Golden Bears' home court beginning at 8 p.m (MDT), and Cal will be getting a big boost. After missing the Bears' first-round game with a concussion, leading scorer Alexis Gray-Lawson is expected to be ready this evening. She averages 17.5 ppg.
In Utah's first round win over Saint Mary's College, the offense struggled early on but came roaring back late in the game to win — a pattern the Utes have followed much of this year.
Utah will look to get off to a faster start with leading scorers Kalee Whipple (16.7 points per game) and Taryn Wicijowski (14.8) leading the way. Not to mention Halie Sawyer, who is playing her best basketball of the year in the postseason. She is the Utes' leading rebounder at 8.2 per game, and she contributes 7.2 points a contest.
Although the Utes hold a 5.3 rebound margin over their opponents this year, Cal holds a slim edge in this category. Utah holds a slight edge in assists and in three-point field goal percentage.
All-time, Utah and Cal are even at 4-4 but have not played in almost two decades.
WNIT second round
Utah at California
Today, 8 p.m.
Radio: 700 AM
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah? BYU?;...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs this...
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 98
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 45
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 28
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 27
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23