The Utah women's basketball team hopes to extend its season Tuesday when it faces the California Golden Bears in a WNIT matchup that looks good for the Utes on paper.
Utah is shooting 42 percent from the field to Cal's 39.5 percent, and the Utes' defense is holding teams to a mere 55 points per game.
However, the game will be played on the Golden Bears' home court beginning at 8 p.m (MDT), and Cal will be getting a big boost. After missing the Bears' first-round game with a concussion, leading scorer Alexis Gray-Lawson is expected to be ready this evening. She averages 17.5 ppg.
In Utah's first round win over Saint Mary's College, the offense struggled early on but came roaring back late in the game to win — a pattern the Utes have followed much of this year.
Utah will look to get off to a faster start with leading scorers Kalee Whipple (16.7 points per game) and Taryn Wicijowski (14.8) leading the way. Not to mention Halie Sawyer, who is playing her best basketball of the year in the postseason. She is the Utes' leading rebounder at 8.2 per game, and she contributes 7.2 points a contest.
Although the Utes hold a 5.3 rebound margin over their opponents this year, Cal holds a slim edge in this category. Utah holds a slight edge in assists and in three-point field goal percentage.
All-time, Utah and Cal are even at 4-4 but have not played in almost two decades.
WNIT second round
Utah at California
Today, 8 p.m.
Radio: 700 AM
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44