The Utah women's basketball team hopes to extend its season Tuesday when it faces the California Golden Bears in a WNIT matchup that looks good for the Utes on paper.
Utah is shooting 42 percent from the field to Cal's 39.5 percent, and the Utes' defense is holding teams to a mere 55 points per game.
However, the game will be played on the Golden Bears' home court beginning at 8 p.m (MDT), and Cal will be getting a big boost. After missing the Bears' first-round game with a concussion, leading scorer Alexis Gray-Lawson is expected to be ready this evening. She averages 17.5 ppg.
In Utah's first round win over Saint Mary's College, the offense struggled early on but came roaring back late in the game to win — a pattern the Utes have followed much of this year.
Utah will look to get off to a faster start with leading scorers Kalee Whipple (16.7 points per game) and Taryn Wicijowski (14.8) leading the way. Not to mention Halie Sawyer, who is playing her best basketball of the year in the postseason. She is the Utes' leading rebounder at 8.2 per game, and she contributes 7.2 points a contest.
Although the Utes hold a 5.3 rebound margin over their opponents this year, Cal holds a slim edge in this category. Utah holds a slight edge in assists and in three-point field goal percentage.
All-time, Utah and Cal are even at 4-4 but have not played in almost two decades.
WNIT second round
Utah at California
Today, 8 p.m.
Radio: 700 AM
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match Gordon...
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to talk...
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- Jazz rookie Rodney Hood starting to feel more...
- 10 with ties to Utah set for NBA Summer...
- Utah Utes to face familiar faces in football...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 276
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 117
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- Is independence a viable option for... 55
- 4 Utah college football players named... 30
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 29
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 25
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 13