Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Home of the brave? Yes indeed.
Monday afternoon the brave included 7-year-old Riley Servoss and 51-year-old Barbara Dorn-DuPlessis and several dozen other Utahns who auditioned to sing the national anthem at this season's home games of the Salt Lake Bees.
"It's one of the most difficult songs to sing," acknowledged Bees judge Kim Raap, who used to audition singers for University of Utah home games and thus has cringed her way through many an attempt of "and the rockets' red glare."
People have been auditioning "The Star-Spangled Banner" for sporting events for years, long before there was "American Idol." Still, it was hard not to be in an "American Idol" frame of mind as contestant after contestant stood in front of Raap and judge Chance Fessler and tried to make America's most difficult song sound effortless and heartfelt.
Molly Creel was operatic. Kareena Brennan, age 8, tried a more Celine Dion approach. Andrea Standing had a touch of Mariah Carey. There were soloists, duos, trios, quartets and the Beehive Statesmen barbershop group, who plan to bring 45 singers to the stadium if they're chosen.
The Bees are looking for a traditional sound, says Raap. "It's got to be clean, clear, on key. And the words have to be right."
Monday's auditions were held in a suite high above home plate. Out the picture window you could see that the outfield grass is finally turning green. The Bees' opening day is April 16.
By then, Raap and Fessler will have picked their favorite rookie singers, who will be added to the roster of singers from previous years. Those who aren't chosen should remember, says Fessler, that American Idol's David Archuleta tried out to sing the national anthem for the Utah Jazz when he was 8 and didn't make it.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21