Within a year
Provides a $250 rebate this year to Medicare prescription drug beneficiaries whose initial benefits run out.
90 days after enactment
Provides immediate access to high-risk pools for people with no insurance because of pre-existing conditions.
Six months after enactment
Bars insurers from denying people coverage when they get sick and from denying coverage to children with pre-existing conditions.
Bars insurers from imposing lifetime caps on coverage.
Requires insurers to let people stay on their parents' policies until age 26.
Requires individual and small group market plans to spend 80 percent of premium dollars on medical services. Large group plans would have to spend at least 85 percent.
Increases the Medicare payroll tax and expands it to dividend, interest and other unearned income for singles earning more than $200,000 and joint filers making more than $250,000.
Provides subsidies for families earning up to 400 percent of poverty level, currently about $88,000 a year, to purchase health insurance.
Requires most employers to provide coverage or face penalties.
Requires most people to obtain coverage or face penalties.
Imposes a 40 percent excise tax on high-end insurance policies.
Expands health insurance coverage to 32 million people.
SOURCES: Speaker of the House, Congressional Budget Office, Kaiser Family Foundation
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Stronger quake may...
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges mistakes in...
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal...
- Utah's Tibetan community prays, mourns for...
- Riot, looting prompt state of emergency,...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Tuesday's the day: Same-sex marriage...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 59
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 32
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 29
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 22
- Clinton Foundation admits missteps in... 15
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges... 13
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 13