SARATOGA SPRINGS — Dell "Superdell" Schanze is running for political office.
This time, Schanze is seeking the GOP nomination for governor against incumbent Gary Herbert and Republican Richard Martin.
Schanze ran for governor two years ago as a Libertarian and ran for mayor of Saratoga Springs last year. He is well-known for his Totally Awesome Computer ads and for several run-ins with the law, involving reckless driving and erratic piloting of a motorized parachute.
"Pretty much everyone knows that socialism is taking over, but they keep voting for the same types of people over and over and over, expecting a different outcome," Schanze told the Deseret News. "People already know voting for the typical candidate isn't going to change anything. … It keeps making it worse and worse and worse.
"What are the odds that anyone but me will stand for even the most standard Christian principles?" he said.
Schanze said he is running because he wants to "ensure that at least one candidate will be a real person."
As governor, Schanze said he would ignore pressures from anyone trying to entice him to do anything other than the right thing to do.
"People have a choice once again," Schanze said. "They can vote for wisdom and freedom."
On Tuesday, Schanze appeared in Orem's 4th District Court to appeal a sentence of 10 days in jail and a $670 fine after being convicted in August for reckless driving and three seat belt violations. At the time, he hinted at another run at governor.
"There may be other good candidates, but there is no question: I am a Christian American," Schanze said.
Contributing: Lee Davidson
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Autopsy to determine if body found in...
- UDOT to begin I-15 work from Riverdale to...
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call for...
- Lee praises Trump's potential Supreme Court...
- Richard Norby released from hospital, returns...
- Man charged with assaulting former boss...
- 10 of the most unusual laws in Utah
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 111
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 25
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 16
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Provo forum to explore roles of family,... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Medical marijuana debate focuses on... 9