Former NBA player, ex-Cougar Shawn Bradley seeking office, among surprises on filing day
One potentially tight race to watch is a rematch between Rep. Trisha Beck, D-Sandy, and the man she beat two years ago, former Rep. LaVar Christensen, R-Sandy (who also faces GOP competition from Mike Carey). Beck won 51 percent to 49 percent two years ago to regain from Christensen the seat she had held previously.
Among the members who chose to leave, Riesen, a former TV news anchor and star of furniture TV ads, said he is quitting to spend more time with his family.
"I've been thinking about it for a month or so," he said Friday. "I just decided I needed to get my life back and spend more time with my wife and grandkids."
Gibson may be retiring from the Legislature, but he has decided to run for the Weber County Commission instead.
"I decided it was time to serve a little closer to home," he said. "I'm hoping I can make a bigger difference to the everyday lives of those who live in my community."
Gibson added that he never intended to serve forever in the Legislature.
"One of the biggest problems, I think, is that some people get a seat and think they own it. It's much better to have people come in, make a difference and move on," he said. A list of all candidates who filed for state races and major county races is available at the related links above.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Steven Powell will not be released from...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- LDS Church submits temporary Provo MTC plans...
- Psychologist calls doctor accused of killing...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Man who allegedly taught bomb making in Utah...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 53
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 44
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers... 18
- LDS missionary 'stable' following... 17
- New law banning teen drivers from... 16