T.J. Kirkpatrick, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The huge white sheets of butcher paper will soon come down at 45 W. South Temple as the flagship store for Deseret Book is unveiled on March 25.
The current downtown location, at 20 E. South Temple, will close its doors for good when the store closes this Saturday night. Neither Deseret Book store location will be open Monday, March 22, through Wednesday, March 24, while the company moves its inventory into the new location down the street and just south of Temple Square.
Deseret Book has always had a location within two city blocks of the original downtown location, making the new site an ideal candidate for the flagship store.
The new store will open to the public at 1 p.m. Thursday, March 25. Gail Halladay, director of marketing and communications for Deseret Book, said a lot of surprises are in store at the flagship location.
"This is going to be a whole new kind of Deseret Book store," Halladay said.
The company's Web site hails the new shop as offering the largest selection of LDS products anywhere. Some of the features — new for any Deseret Book store — include a fine art gallery with concierge service, an old-fashioned "sweet treat emporium," custom scripture rebinding, a 32-foot video wall and interactive displays.
The new location will also sell limited-edition leather-bound collections that were previously only available online. A distribution services store will be on-site and historic artifacts will be on display.
The grand opening celebration will begin Friday, April 2, just in time for the throngs of visitors who will visit Temple Square for General Conference April 3-4. Store festivities will continue through April 10 and will include author signings, product giveaways and a 60-second shopping spree for one lucky customer on April 9.
The new location will have food available for purchase but will not have tables, encouraging customers to "grab and go." New frozen Take 'N' Bake Lion House rolls also will be available for purchase at the downtown location and eventually will be available at all Deseret Book stores.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Utah in top 10 for visitor spending at...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16