WASHINGTON — For the second time in less than a year, leaders have presented a member of the first family with a family history.
First lady Michelle Obama received five volumes on her genealogy Wednesday morning from Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve and Sister Julie B. Beck, general president of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., a Mormon, also participated in the presentation.
In July, President Thomas S. Monson joined Elder Oaks and Reid in presenting the U.S. president with his family history.
"Last year, the church compiled (five) volumes for President Barack Obama," Reid said. "This year, I thank Elder Oaks for sharing our faith's tradition of genealogical research with the first lady and her family.
"This documentation of their lineage will be cherished and passed on for future generations," he said. "I am honored that the church can play a part in documenting the history of the first family."
A White House press secretary for the first lady confirmed the meeting but characterized it as private and said no additional information nor photographs of the event would be provided.
Elder Oaks oversees the church's genealogical efforts as chairman of the church's Temple and Family History Executive Council.
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Impeachment investigation 'highly likely,'...
- Attorney General John Swallow tells House...
- Lehi imposes emergency watering restrictions
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 30
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 20