WASHINGTON — For the second time in less than a year, leaders have presented a member of the first family with a family history.
First lady Michelle Obama received five volumes on her genealogy Wednesday morning from Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve and Sister Julie B. Beck, general president of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., a Mormon, also participated in the presentation.
In July, President Thomas S. Monson joined Elder Oaks and Reid in presenting the U.S. president with his family history.
"Last year, the church compiled (five) volumes for President Barack Obama," Reid said. "This year, I thank Elder Oaks for sharing our faith's tradition of genealogical research with the first lady and her family.
"This documentation of their lineage will be cherished and passed on for future generations," he said. "I am honored that the church can play a part in documenting the history of the first family."
A White House press secretary for the first lady confirmed the meeting but characterized it as private and said no additional information nor photographs of the event would be provided.
Elder Oaks oversees the church's genealogical efforts as chairman of the church's Temple and Family History Executive Council.
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- Looking for the perfect Pi Day pie? Here are...
- Affirming same-sex marriage would be...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Google cameras take rafting trip down...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 71
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 27
- British judge hears arguments in case... 27