WASHINGTON — For the second time in less than a year, leaders have presented a member of the first family with a family history.
First lady Michelle Obama received five volumes on her genealogy Wednesday morning from Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve and Sister Julie B. Beck, general president of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., a Mormon, also participated in the presentation.
In July, President Thomas S. Monson joined Elder Oaks and Reid in presenting the U.S. president with his family history.
"Last year, the church compiled (five) volumes for President Barack Obama," Reid said. "This year, I thank Elder Oaks for sharing our faith's tradition of genealogical research with the first lady and her family.
"This documentation of their lineage will be cherished and passed on for future generations," he said. "I am honored that the church can play a part in documenting the history of the first family."
A White House press secretary for the first lady confirmed the meeting but characterized it as private and said no additional information nor photographs of the event would be provided.
Elder Oaks oversees the church's genealogical efforts as chairman of the church's Temple and Family History Executive Council.
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 55
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12