WASHINGTON — For the second time in less than a year, leaders have presented a member of the first family with a family history.
First lady Michelle Obama received five volumes on her genealogy Wednesday morning from Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve and Sister Julie B. Beck, general president of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., a Mormon, also participated in the presentation.
In July, President Thomas S. Monson joined Elder Oaks and Reid in presenting the U.S. president with his family history.
"Last year, the church compiled (five) volumes for President Barack Obama," Reid said. "This year, I thank Elder Oaks for sharing our faith's tradition of genealogical research with the first lady and her family.
"This documentation of their lineage will be cherished and passed on for future generations," he said. "I am honored that the church can play a part in documenting the history of the first family."
A White House press secretary for the first lady confirmed the meeting but characterized it as private and said no additional information nor photographs of the event would be provided.
Elder Oaks oversees the church's genealogical efforts as chairman of the church's Temple and Family History Executive Council.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Bingham High students walk out over... 17
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 12