"We missed some shots going down the stretch that we really needed," Quayle said.
As a result, the Aggies are now playing a game they are quite familiar with but had no interest in being a participant.
With relatively few strong candidates left on the bubble, many national bracket predictions still have USU in the field of 65. The loss, however, will have a big impact on Utah State's seeding and first-round matchup.
Still, Morrill is hopeful that he'll get some good news today at 4 p.m. when the brackets are revealed.
"If we don't get in, it makes it really tough on mid-major leagues," he said. "I mean, what do you need to do to get in?"
The WAC is currently the No. 10-rated conference according to RPI rankings.
That, Morrill said, should be a plus on USU's resume.
"For schools like us to win 17 games in a row, win the league outright by three games, lose in the final to a good team, our RPI is better than a lot of schools being talked about ..." he said. "I mean, is our league a one-bid league no matter what?"
The answer to that question will come at 4 p.m.
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke plays out of this world...
- Dick Harmon: Duane Hardy, Dave Rose remind us...
- Local college football: Cougars, Utes and...
- Let's go bowling: Predicting this year's 35...
- Utah Jazz: Magic speak highly of former Jazz...
- BYU football: Cougars sign JC wide receiver,...
- High school boys basketball: Davis tops Judge...
- High school sports: Wednesday's prep roundup
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com... 43
- BYU digs early hole, can't recover in... 42
- Commentary: For the Jazz, it's all... 32
- Utah basketball: Ute sophomore Jordan... 31
- Utah State basketball: Leading scorer... 25
- BYU football: Kyle Van Noy accepts... 25
- Local college football: Cougars, Utes... 25
- Former Utah quarterback Alex Smith... 24