Jason Olson, Deseret News
LAKE CITY — Using diplomacy that focuses on curing cancer, Jon Huntsman
Sr. has laid the groundwork to help build a network of cancer hospitals
in several countries, including nations in the Middle East.
told the Deseret News on Wednesday that he's been approached multiple
times in recent years by government and medical officials at home and
abroad who want to use the genetic research now under way at Utah's
Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) as the basis for establishing a
specialty cancer hospital in their areas. He said he has no estimate
for when these hospitals might be built.
and leaders in Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and China have all
expressed interest, as have researchers from several areas in the U.S.,
\"They don't have $50
million per year for research ... which is a black pit of (financial
losses), but it's absolutely essential in the medical world to make
progress. Without it, you can't move forward.\"
response to the queries, Huntsman officials developed a blueprint for
expanding the Huntsman Cancer Hospital at the University of Utah into a
network of similar hospitals in various parts of the world where
universities, municipalities or governments are willing to build the
\"We will provide the
architectural plans and layouts, train their doctors with personnel
from the institute and require them to meet specific standards of care
in order to bear our name,\" he said.
facility would be owned independently but would utilize HCI's
consulting and research for a $5 million annual fee, which would be
funneled back into HCI to fund ongoing research, Huntsman said. A
handful of sites are now negotiating with HCI to build such a facility,
he said. He declined to name them, noting that local officials in those
areas would make the announcements when the time is right.
the vast majority of cancers can be treated on an outpatient basis
through chemotherapy and radiation, the hospitals would be
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- Rally in support of police also draws... 39
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 22
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands... 8