VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Seven Mormon athletes competing in the 2010 Winter Olympics accounted for one gold medal, one bronze medal and a fourth-place finish.
Torah Bright of Australia took first place in women's snowboard halfpipe. The 23-year-old, who trains in Utah, has become a media star in Australia, and numerous news articles and broadcasts in that country mention her membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and her abstinence from alcohol, drugs and sexual relations outside of marriage.
David Bissett was part of Canada's bronze-medal-winning team in four-man bobsled. He also was an injury fill-in as brakeman for Canada's No. 1 two-man sled halfway through the two-man competition. With Bissett in the sled, it rose from 21st place to 15th place over the final two runs.
Noelle Pikus-Pace of Eagle Mountain, Utah County, was one-tenth of a second short of a medal, taking fourth in women's skeleton.
Shauna Rohbock, an Orem native and BYU alumna, piloted the sixth-place women's bobsled. She had won a silver medal during the 2006 Olympics.
Chris Fogt was brakeman on the United States' No. 2 four-man bobsled. The sled crashed on the second of four timed runs and did not compete the final day of bobsled racing.
Christian Niccum, Woodinville, Wash., finished in sixth place in men's doubles luge.
Steven Nyman, Sundance, Utah, finished 20th in the men's alpine downhill ski race.
Also, Erik Fisher of Middleton, Idaho, was one of five downhill members of the U.S. alpine ski team but was not among the four who raced.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 71
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 59
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 41
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11