VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Seven Mormon athletes competing in the 2010 Winter Olympics accounted for one gold medal, one bronze medal and a fourth-place finish.
Torah Bright of Australia took first place in women's snowboard halfpipe. The 23-year-old, who trains in Utah, has become a media star in Australia, and numerous news articles and broadcasts in that country mention her membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and her abstinence from alcohol, drugs and sexual relations outside of marriage.
David Bissett was part of Canada's bronze-medal-winning team in four-man bobsled. He also was an injury fill-in as brakeman for Canada's No. 1 two-man sled halfway through the two-man competition. With Bissett in the sled, it rose from 21st place to 15th place over the final two runs.
Noelle Pikus-Pace of Eagle Mountain, Utah County, was one-tenth of a second short of a medal, taking fourth in women's skeleton.
Shauna Rohbock, an Orem native and BYU alumna, piloted the sixth-place women's bobsled. She had won a silver medal during the 2006 Olympics.
Chris Fogt was brakeman on the United States' No. 2 four-man bobsled. The sled crashed on the second of four timed runs and did not compete the final day of bobsled racing.
Christian Niccum, Woodinville, Wash., finished in sixth place in men's doubles luge.
Steven Nyman, Sundance, Utah, finished 20th in the men's alpine downhill ski race.
Also, Erik Fisher of Middleton, Idaho, was one of five downhill members of the U.S. alpine ski team but was not among the four who raced.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 157
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 62
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 15
- Meet the Muslim actor playing Jesus in... 10
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8
- State bills to protect religious... 7