LEVI THOMPSON, South Summit, basketball: It only took 45 seconds for Thompson to become the hero who delivered to South Summit the team's first boys basketball state title in 34 years on Saturday. The junior scored three baskets in the final 45 seconds of a 38-37 victory over Waterford in the 2A title game. He accounted for the Wildcats' final seven points in the last-minute comeback. In four 2A playoff games, Thompson averaged 11.8 points per game and totaled eight 3-pointers. Thompson was also a standout in the backfield for the Wildcat football team in the fall. He finished the season with 1,081 yards and eight touchdowns on 144 carries in helping South Summit to a second-place finish in that sport.
BRITTNEY MARTIN, Syracuse, basketball: Only a sophomore, Martin showed just what an impressive presence she is in Utah high school girls basketball, scoring 102 points and averaging 25.5 points per game through the entire state tournament. She also had phenomenal rebounding nights, including 19 against Brighton, and had eight steals against Pleasant Grove in the state final.
"Brittney had a phenomenal week, not just scoring but defending and rebounding as well. If she hadn't played like she did all week, we wouldn't have won the state championship," said Syracuse coach Rob Reisbeck about his rising star.
Brittney not only scored and rebounded, she also had to try to slow Pleasant Grove's Jennifer Hamson in the title match, doing a good job of getting right up on her and in her face, causing myriad Pleasant Grove turnovers in the process.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 90
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0