SAN DIEGO — Junior Mindy Bonham led BYU with 19 points, a season-high in conference play, through a tough back-and-forth battle with 16 lead changes, but the Cougars couldn't get the last shot off and fell to San Diego State, 73-71.
In all games, except one to date, at least two BYU (18-7, 9-4) players have scored in double-figures. In the game against the Aztecs (16-10, 8-6), four players recorded double digits. Bonham, Coriann Wood, Jazmine Foreman and Kristen Riley tallied 19, 18, 12 and 11 points, respectively. This was the eighth game this season to have four players in double digits.
Riley also recorded a new season- and career-high assist performance, with four, and tied her season- and career-high steals count with three. Wood tied her season-and career-high with four 3-pointers on the night.
The Aztecs got on the board first to start the game with a 3-pointer from Quenese Davis, but Bonham would respond back quickly with a layup of her own and force a turnover by the Aztecs in full-court pressure.
Bonham recorded eight of BYU's first 10 points, finishing the first half with 11 points to be one of BYU's two players in double figures at the half. Wood also had 11 points as the team headed into the locker room. The second half ended with a 3-pointer from Haley Hall to put the Cougars up 38-36.
The second half started with the Aztecs again getting off the first shot but the Cougars responded with a 4-0 run to put them up 42-38.
With two minutes to play, the Cougars found themselves down by just one point. The game remained close until the last minute of play. A 3-pointer from Wood tied the game at 71 with 50 seconds to play but a layup from San Diego State's Paris Johnson proved the final shot of the game as the Aztecs took the win. Johnson led all scorers with 24 points.
The Cougars continue their final conference road trip at New Mexico on Saturday at 4 p.m. MT. The game will be shown live on CBS College Sports.
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 111
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29