SAN DIEGO — Junior Mindy Bonham led BYU with 19 points, a season-high in conference play, through a tough back-and-forth battle with 16 lead changes, but the Cougars couldn't get the last shot off and fell to San Diego State, 73-71.
In all games, except one to date, at least two BYU (18-7, 9-4) players have scored in double-figures. In the game against the Aztecs (16-10, 8-6), four players recorded double digits. Bonham, Coriann Wood, Jazmine Foreman and Kristen Riley tallied 19, 18, 12 and 11 points, respectively. This was the eighth game this season to have four players in double digits.
Riley also recorded a new season- and career-high assist performance, with four, and tied her season- and career-high steals count with three. Wood tied her season-and career-high with four 3-pointers on the night.
The Aztecs got on the board first to start the game with a 3-pointer from Quenese Davis, but Bonham would respond back quickly with a layup of her own and force a turnover by the Aztecs in full-court pressure.
Bonham recorded eight of BYU's first 10 points, finishing the first half with 11 points to be one of BYU's two players in double figures at the half. Wood also had 11 points as the team headed into the locker room. The second half ended with a 3-pointer from Haley Hall to put the Cougars up 38-36.
The second half started with the Aztecs again getting off the first shot but the Cougars responded with a 4-0 run to put them up 42-38.
With two minutes to play, the Cougars found themselves down by just one point. The game remained close until the last minute of play. A 3-pointer from Wood tied the game at 71 with 50 seconds to play but a layup from San Diego State's Paris Johnson proved the final shot of the game as the Aztecs took the win. Johnson led all scorers with 24 points.
The Cougars continue their final conference road trip at New Mexico on Saturday at 4 p.m. MT. The game will be shown live on CBS College Sports.
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson for...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29