PORTLAND, Ore. — Jazz players found out before beating Golden State on Friday night.
Jerry Sloan found out beforehand as well, but only when trainer Gary Briggs told him as the Jazz coaching staff took the floor at Oracle Arena in Oakland.
Ronnie Brewer, the longtime Jazz starting shooting guard traded to Memphis on Thursday, severely injured his hamstring after making a steal in the fourth quarter of his Grizzlies debut, a double-overtime loss to Miami.
"I hate to hear that. ... I hate to see anybody get hurt," Sloan said afterward. "He was one of our guys and we still have a lot of respect for him and all that, and I hate to see it happen to him. Hopefully, he'll be able to bounce back."
The Grizzlies originally were calling the injury a "strain," but after he underwent an MRI exam Saturday Brewer — taken from the FedEx Forum floor in Memphis on a cart — was said by the team to have a partially torn right hamstring.
He's listed as being out indefinitely, didn't travel to New Jersey for Memphis game against the Nets Sunday night and will have a timetable for his return set by the team only after being re-evaluated in five to seven days.
The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal, however, reported Saturday that Brewer, off the crutches he used after Friday's game, will be out at least three weeks.
"That's basketball for you," Sloan said.
"Who's going to say that you're not ever going to get hurt? That's the crazy thing about it. You never know what's going to happen."
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29