PORTLAND, Ore. — Jazz players found out before beating Golden State on Friday night.
Jerry Sloan found out beforehand as well, but only when trainer Gary Briggs told him as the Jazz coaching staff took the floor at Oracle Arena in Oakland.
Ronnie Brewer, the longtime Jazz starting shooting guard traded to Memphis on Thursday, severely injured his hamstring after making a steal in the fourth quarter of his Grizzlies debut, a double-overtime loss to Miami.
"I hate to hear that. ... I hate to see anybody get hurt," Sloan said afterward. "He was one of our guys and we still have a lot of respect for him and all that, and I hate to see it happen to him. Hopefully, he'll be able to bounce back."
The Grizzlies originally were calling the injury a "strain," but after he underwent an MRI exam Saturday Brewer — taken from the FedEx Forum floor in Memphis on a cart — was said by the team to have a partially torn right hamstring.
He's listed as being out indefinitely, didn't travel to New Jersey for Memphis game against the Nets Sunday night and will have a timetable for his return set by the team only after being re-evaluated in five to seven days.
The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal, however, reported Saturday that Brewer, off the crutches he used after Friday's game, will be out at least three weeks.
"That's basketball for you," Sloan said.
"Who's going to say that you're not ever going to get hurt? That's the crazy thing about it. You never know what's going to happen."
- High school football: Defense, big plays pave...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high...
- Championship Friday, live streams, stats and...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The championship edition
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 142
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 114
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 33
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 28
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig... 19