COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The Utah and BYU baseball teams have been selected to finish fourth and fifth in the Mountain West Conference, it was announced on Monday.
TCU was tabbed to win its fifth consecutive regular-season title with 70 points, followed by New Mexico (55 points) and San Diego State (47 points) in second and third, respectively. Utah had 45 points, followed by BYU with 28. The poll was rounded out by UNLV in sixth (22 points) and Air Force (13 points).
In addition, Utah senior third baseman Nick Kuroczko was selected to the preseason all-conference team.
The defending MWC Tournament Champion Utes are coming off one of their best seasons in history, reaching the NCAA Baseball Championship for the first time since 1960, capping it off by winning two games in the regional round.
Kuroczko led Utah with a .353 batting average and a .558 slugging percentage last season and was second in the country with nine triples. He also had 24 multiple-hit games and 11 multiple RBI games.
Voting was conducted by the seven MWC head coaches and selected baseball media.
The Utes and Cougars open their seasons on Friday.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27