Film gems stand out at Sundance Film Festival, Palm Springs Film Festival
Very off-beat and very unlike any American romantic film is "Nothing Personal," from Ireland, featuring two definite odd balls who link up far out in the Irish countryside. Still one more highly original film at Palm Springs deserves mention: Although the Canadian film "I Killed My Mother" was ultimately not one of my favorites, it nevertheless just may herald the arrival of a new "Orson Welles." Only 17 years old when he wrote it, the now 21-year-old Xavier Dolan both stars in and directs it. Though definitely not for all tastes, this impressive debut film leaves us wondering where this young "wunderkind" will go from here.
Don Marshall is the retired director of the BYU International Cinema Program.
- Disney reportedly pulls new 'Brave' image of...
- Disney's 'Brave' makeover sparks fury from...
- Doug's Take: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' is a...
- Utahn, castaway Dawn Meehan reflects on...
- Is the Wii U already becoming outdated?
- Former lawyer says OJ Simpson knew about guns
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' is a really fun ride
- A look back at the Star Trek film franchise
- Disney's 'Brave' makeover sparks fury... 17
- Utahn, castaway Dawn Meehan reflects on... 14
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Once in a while,... 5
- Disney reportedly pulls new 'Brave'... 4
- Utahn in final three, but it's Cochran... 3
- A look back at the Star Trek film... 3
- Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy: Q&A 2
- Prince Harry to see NJ storm damage,... 1