Film gems stand out at Sundance Film Festival, Palm Springs Film Festival
Very off-beat and very unlike any American romantic film is "Nothing Personal," from Ireland, featuring two definite odd balls who link up far out in the Irish countryside. Still one more highly original film at Palm Springs deserves mention: Although the Canadian film "I Killed My Mother" was ultimately not one of my favorites, it nevertheless just may herald the arrival of a new "Orson Welles." Only 17 years old when he wrote it, the now 21-year-old Xavier Dolan both stars in and directs it. Though definitely not for all tastes, this impressive debut film leaves us wondering where this young "wunderkind" will go from here.
Don Marshall is the retired director of the BYU International Cinema Program.
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a theological...
- Jenny Oaks Baker combines classical with rock...
- Religious-themed films find home in Hollywood
- 'Captain Underpants' tops list of last year's...
- FanX family guide: What to do at Comic Con
- Seasoned choreographer carries on mother's...
- Paul McCartney will play EnergySolutions...
- Former Soviet gold medal-winning gymnast...
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 8
- Sugar House fireworks show will go on... 6
- With $41.4 million, 'Captain America'... 3
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Daughters and... 3
- 'Biggest Loser' casting call to be in... 3
- Jerry Lewis: Women are funny, but not... 1
- 'Captain Underpants' tops list of last... 1
- Author Brad Wilcox writes about... 1