Utah Utes football: Kyle Whittingham shakes up coaching staff
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham has readjusted some assignments on his staff. The moves, which were necessary following the departure of cornerbacks coach J.D. Williams and the hiring of quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson during the offseason, were announced Wednesday.
Receivers coach Aaron Roderick has been elevated to co-offensive coordinator and will share duties with Dave Schramm, who will now coach the tight ends. He takes over a position assignment previously held by Jay Hill, who was moved over to the defensive side to oversee the cornerbacks.
"When we hired Brian (Johnson) to coach the quarterbacks, the intent was to assemble the best staff possible, rather than just filling the open position," Whittingham said in announcing the changes. "Jay (Hill) will move over to the defensive side of the ball and coach the cornerbacks, the position he excelled at as a player and coached his first two years on the staff. Dave (Schramm) can coach about any position on the field, which gave us some real flexibility on that front."
Since joining the Utah staff in 2005, Schramm has coached the running backs and quarterbacks. He added offensive coordinator duties last season.
Hill, meanwhile, returns to a role he had earlier in his career. He was Eric Weddle's position coach in 2005 and 2006.
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22