Utah Utes football: Kyle Whittingham shakes up coaching staff
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham has readjusted some assignments on his staff. The moves, which were necessary following the departure of cornerbacks coach J.D. Williams and the hiring of quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson during the offseason, were announced Wednesday.
Receivers coach Aaron Roderick has been elevated to co-offensive coordinator and will share duties with Dave Schramm, who will now coach the tight ends. He takes over a position assignment previously held by Jay Hill, who was moved over to the defensive side to oversee the cornerbacks.
"When we hired Brian (Johnson) to coach the quarterbacks, the intent was to assemble the best staff possible, rather than just filling the open position," Whittingham said in announcing the changes. "Jay (Hill) will move over to the defensive side of the ball and coach the cornerbacks, the position he excelled at as a player and coached his first two years on the staff. Dave (Schramm) can coach about any position on the field, which gave us some real flexibility on that front."
Since joining the Utah staff in 2005, Schramm has coached the running backs and quarterbacks. He added offensive coordinator duties last season.
Hill, meanwhile, returns to a role he had earlier in his career. He was Eric Weddle's position coach in 2005 and 2006.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7