T.J. Kirkpatrick, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's Kalee Whipple pulled off a miracle Wednesday night at the end of the third overtime.
Down four points, she hit a free throw and purposely missed the next one and got the rebound and hit a 3-pointer to send the game with No. 24-ranked TCU into the fourth overtime at 90-90.
"I just heaved the ball up and it went," said Whipple.
That's when the miracles ran out.
Without Halie Sawyer and Taryn Wicijowski, who both fouled out, the out-of-gas Utes fell to the Horned Frogs 105-96 in quadruple overtime.
This was the first four-overtime game in Utah's history — Whipple also set a school and MWC record finishing with 45 points — but the Utes had a chance to end it in the first on as they held a five point lead with 36 seconds left but couldn't hold on.
"We gave away so many opportunities," Utah coach Elaine Elliott said. "We had the game won but we couldn't slam the door shut."
Janita Badon and Whipple both played 59 minutes setting another school record for minutes played in a game. Whipple pulled down 11 rebounds for her fifth double double of the season.
Utah's previous season shooting woes came to an end as they shot 60.9 percent in the first half and 50.7 for the game. But it is pretty hard to win a game with 32 turnovers.
TCU's record moved to 8-2 in the conference and the Horned Frogs had three players with over 20 points. Emily Carter and Eboni Mangum both posted 25 and Helen Sverrisdottir finished with 21.
Taryn Wicijowski finished with 23 points and eight rebounds before fouling out.
Turnovers were the main cause for the loss, they had 32 in all.
At one point in the second half the Utes went more than four minutes without getting a shot, committing five turnovers in a row.
Still, Elliott told her team she was proud of them, "the fact they competed so hard," she said, "That is the one thing I expect. They competed every step of the way."
"We played our hearts out," Whipple said. "(But) It came down where they made the bigger plays at the end."
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 62
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 61
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 41
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 38
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27