MOAB — A veteran police officer is accused of breaking into an office of his own police department and stealing nearly $1,000.
Edward Arvel Guerrero, 43, was a Moab police officer when he entered a locked police department office sometime between Aug. 15 and Oct. 6 and stole about $900, according to deputy Emery County attorney Brent Langston, who is prosecuting the case for the Grand County Attorney's Office to avoid any conflict of interest.
"We know that the money was there on the earlier date. We know it was gone on the later date," Langston said. "Sometime in between there is when he would have taken it."
Guerrero has been charged in 7th District Court with one count of burglary, a third-degree felony, and one count of theft, a class A misdemeanor.
Defense attorney Greg Skordas declined to discuss most details of the case, but said his client disputes the allegation that he broke into a locked office. He said Guerrero, who has worked as an officer for more than 10 years, has resigned from the Moab Police Department.
"He's embarrassed about what happened and has accepted responsibility," Skordas said.
Efforts to reach Moab Police Chief Mike Navarre on Wednesday for comment on the case were unsuccessful.
Guerrero is set to return to court on Feb. 9 for a preliminary hearing.
— Geoff Liesik
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 59
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 42
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 40
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 15
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13