Ruth Jensen Clawson Welti, 96, noted Utah soprano and patron of music and theater, died May 17, 1999, in San Antonio.
Mrs. Clawson Welti began her successful career on Broadway in 1926. She sang in the Tabernacle Choir for 35 years and was a soloist for the Utah Symphony. Mrs. Clawson Welti was instrumental in forming the original symphony guild. She also sang with the Salt Lake Civic Light Opera Association. She will be remembered for her roles in "Lady in the Dark," "The Great Waltz" and "South Pacific" with the University of Utah Theatre and summer festivals.She was also an accomplished interior designer and artist.
Mrs. Clawson Welti was born to Ephraim Peter and Mary Harriet "Hattie" Jensen. She married Dr. Thomas Alfred Clawson Jr. in the Salt Lake Temple on June 25, 1925. He died in 1979. In November 1983, she married Walter Welti, professor of music at Utah State University. He preceded her in death in 1988.
She is survived by daughter Patricia Ann (Arthur W.) Jackson of Rogue River, Ore.; daughter Sue Louise (Gene R.) Smith of San Antonio; nephew Jay E. (Tonia) Jensen of Salt Lake City; 12 grandchildren and 36 great-grandchildren; sister Alice Lawing; half-sister Phyllis Dunnigan; and stepchildren Bob C. (Georgia) Welti, Walter D. Welti, June C. (Leland) Jacobsen and Alice C. (Don) Buehner.
Funeral will be at the Monument Park 12th Ward, 2795 E. Crestview Drive, at noon Saturday.
A viewing will be at Larkin Sunset Lawn Mortuary, 2350 E. 1300 South, on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. and at the ward one hour prior to service.
Interment will be in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18