Texas law makes it:
A first-degree felony for marrying a child younger than 16 and a second-degree felony for marrying a child 16 and 17.
A class A misdemeanor for a person to give consent for an underage marriage if they are not the parent, managing conservator or guardian of the applicant
A third-degree felony for a person to who knowingly conducts a marriage ceremony of a minor whose marriage is prohibited by law
A class A misdemeanor for knowingly providing false, fraudulent or otherwise inaccurate information regarding identity or age under this section
Illegal to marry a former or current stepchild, stepparent or cousin by blood or by adoption
So a person cannot be a party to an informal marriage or execute a declaration of an informal marriage if the person is presently married to a person who is not the other party to the informal marriage
Source: Texas Legislature analysis
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19