Texas law makes it:
A first-degree felony for marrying a child younger than 16 and a second-degree felony for marrying a child 16 and 17.
A class A misdemeanor for a person to give consent for an underage marriage if they are not the parent, managing conservator or guardian of the applicant
A third-degree felony for a person to who knowingly conducts a marriage ceremony of a minor whose marriage is prohibited by law
A class A misdemeanor for knowingly providing false, fraudulent or otherwise inaccurate information regarding identity or age under this section
Illegal to marry a former or current stepchild, stepparent or cousin by blood or by adoption
So a person cannot be a party to an informal marriage or execute a declaration of an informal marriage if the person is presently married to a person who is not the other party to the informal marriage
Source: Texas Legislature analysis
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 35
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 32
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Government regulation has become like... 23
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22