Three high school students who thought they were being funny by sticking a bag of poop in a Sandy 7-Eleven microwave and cooking it for 10 minutes have been arrested.
Earlier this week, police released surveillance video of three teens who walked into the convenience store near 2200 East and 9400 South, took out a one-gallon plastic bag with human feces inside and put it into the microwave while the clerk wasn't looking.
The boys left the store, and the clerk figured out what had happened when a foul stench filled the building. The store had to be closed temporarily because of the odor.
After the surveillance video was broadcast by local news stations, investigators received numerous tips from callers, said Sandy police Sgt. Victor Quezada.
On Wednesday morning, five high school students were greeted by police as they arrived for school in the morning, he said. Two of the boys eventually were released, while the other three, two aged 16 and a 17-year-old, were arrested for investigation of third-degree felony criminal mischief.
The boys will be charged in juvenile court, Quezada said. They were released to the custody of their parents after their arrests.
"They said they did it as a prank," Quezada said of the incident. "They were going to do the burning bag on a doorstep thing, when one of the kids said he had heard about (the microwave) idea from some other place."
The microwave had to be replaced. And because it cost $3,500, the prank turned into a felony crime, Quezada said.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14