Hunkie Cooper was a star player for Danny White during the glory years of the Arizona Wranglers. Things weren't going nearly as well with Cooper as an assistant coach under White for the Utah Blaze, however.
Two weeks after being demoted from defensive coordinator to simply the coach of the Blaze's defensive backs, Cooper was released from his coaching duties altogether by the Blaze on Tuesday.
The Blaze, 0-5 on the season, did not practice on Tuesday, but White released the following statement:
"This was a mutual agreement based on our immediate need to get more out of the players we have under the current circumstances. This decision is not necessarily a reflection of Hunkie's coaching ability. Rather, it is different approach and an effort to move in another direction based on the outcome of our inconsistent performance on the defensive side of the ball."
Ron James, who was previously a head coach in the AFL, is now the Blaze's defensive coordinator. He began the season as the Blaze's line coach.
Utah will travel to play at 5-0 Philadelphia on Saturday night.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27