Woman kidnapped in Boise found in Utah; suspect takes own life
A man police believe kidnapped a Boise woman and took her to Utah shot and killed himself as officers approached his vehicle Monday morning, according to investigators.
About 9 a.m., two men who were rabbit hunting in western Box Elder County, about 5 miles west of the Golden Spike Monument, were flagged down by a man who said his female friend had been shot and needed help, but he didn't want assistance from police, according to a statement from the Box Elder County Sheriff's Office.
The men, however, called police after becoming highly suspicious of the individual.
"The male shot himself in the head as officers approached," according to the sheriff's office.
The woman was flown by medical helicopter to McKay-Dee Hospital to be treated for a gunshot wound to the leg. Her injuries were not believed to be life-threatening. Names of both the suspect and victim, a woman in her 40s, were not released Monday pending notification of family members.
Investigators from Box Elder County, the FBI and the Boise Police Department say the the ordeal began Sunday about 9:45 p.m. in Boise when the man, described by police as being from Oklahoma but recently a part-time Boise resident, went to the woman's house with a gun, forced his way in and kidnapped her.
Three children, all under the age of 10, were present and were threatened by the man, according to a statement from Boise police. The children all ran to safety at a neighbor's house, according to the police statement.Although the relationship between the suspect and victim was not revealed Monday, Boise police say the couple have a documented history of domestic violence in Boise dating back to April 2007.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Republican, Democratic political... 32
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12