With about six months remaining until the scheduled opening of Real Salt Lake's stadium in Sandy, owner Dave Checketts said RSL is in negotiations with three corporate sponsors who are interested in naming rights to the stadium.
Having already turned down two undervalued offers, Checketts said he's talking with one national company and two local companies about slapping their name and logo on the $110 million stadium.
"The company that steps in here is going to get enormous coverage, but they have to be comfortable that we're going to deliver on our promise," Checketts said. "I'm not in a rush, but before we open it up I'd sure love to have a name on it."
Real Salt Lake is seeking a contract of about 10 years, and asking about $1.5 million to $2 million per year. The four most recent teams to build soccer specific stadiums are bringing in on average $1.6 million for naming rights. The high is BMO Financial Group which is paying $2.7 million per season to name Toronto FC's stadium BMO Field. Toyota Park in Chicago is the low at $750,000 per year.
Dicks Sporting Goods is paying $2 million a year for naming rights on the Denver stadium, while Pizza Hut is paying $1.25 million per year in Dallas."I'd prefer it would be a consumer brand, something that meant something to people. And that's not an attack on EnergySolutions, but they don't even sell to consumers, so why would they name a building like that?" Checketts said. "The reason is obviously to help their political and other clout, and we may find somebody like that before it's all over."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 93
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 77
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 53
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 39