ANN ARBOR, Mich. One week after falling from the unbeaten ranks, the Utah gymnastics team returned the favor. Led by Ashley Postell's all-around and three individual event victories, No. 3-ranked Utah beat previously unbeaten and No. 4 Michigan, 197.425-196.325. Utah improves to 11-1, while Michigan drops to 18-1.
Utah never trailed in the meet and went 24-of-24 in hit routines. The Utes, who have yet to count a fall this season, pulled away on the third rotation when Michigan ran into trouble on the beam.
Up by three-tenths of a point going into the third rotation, Utah emerged from it with a one-point lead. The Utes didn't squander it when they went to the balance beam, where Daria Bijak and Postell put a punctuation point on the night by scoring a 9.925 and a 9.95, respectively, to end the set.
"All season, no matter where we've competed, whether it's against a team we're supposed to beat easily or against a team like Michigan that expects to be competing for the national title, we've been consistent and have gone out and hit our routines," said Utah coach Greg Marsden.
"I was pleased that the (gymnasts) responded by turning it up on the last two practice rotations and then kept on going all the way through the meet," added Marsden.
Postell led a trio of Ute all-arounders. Nina Kim took her place in the floor and the all-around lineup. Kim, who also returned to the bar lineup for the first time in five weeks, scored a 39.350 to place third in the all-around. Postell led the way with a 39.70, followed by Daria Bijak at 39.475.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 289
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 53
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 42
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37