But she worries about the general safety of family blogs that are open to public searches. Hill says her site does not have a lot of personal information, and the only way a person could find her is to call a business number and sign up for a photography class she offers. Hill does not have children, and there are no pictures of her home on her blog.
"If you are going to have a personal blog of kids and and house, I would definitely do an invite-only blog," Hill said. "I think that can be dangerous, and I'm surprised how many have public blogs like that."
Jason Freidenfelds of Google's global communications and public affairs office said any person using Google's Blogger site can make her site password-protected and block her blog from being indexed by search engines. Likewise, Matt Mullenweg with WordPress.com said blog users on his site can also block access.
"All posts and all uploads including pictures and video to that blog will only be seen by people you specify. It's really private," Mullenweg said in an e-mail interview. "It's so easy to do. It's what I'd recommend for anyone who wants to keep things out of the public eye."
For Ferney, security isn't a worry. Although her site is primarily focused on design tips and trends, she just recently posted a picture of her son, Moses, from the day he turned 3 months old. Comments linked to the posting were from women who wrote about how cute Ferney's son was and also shared stories about their own children."It's more of an issue to get people to read blogs than to stop bad people from reading them," Ferney said. "A lot of people do those family blogs, and I could see how they could be more concerned, but I don't think there are that many people out to get people."
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- 11-year-old girl honors sick grandfather by...
- 10 things parents wish they knew before...
- The Clean Cut: Children identify mom without...
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too dangerous...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 17
- Does being married bring you closer to... 7
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 3
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- This couple lost their wedding location... 2