But she worries about the general safety of family blogs that are open to public searches. Hill says her site does not have a lot of personal information, and the only way a person could find her is to call a business number and sign up for a photography class she offers. Hill does not have children, and there are no pictures of her home on her blog.
"If you are going to have a personal blog of kids and and house, I would definitely do an invite-only blog," Hill said. "I think that can be dangerous, and I'm surprised how many have public blogs like that."
Jason Freidenfelds of Google's global communications and public affairs office said any person using Google's Blogger site can make her site password-protected and block her blog from being indexed by search engines. Likewise, Matt Mullenweg with WordPress.com said blog users on his site can also block access.
"All posts and all uploads including pictures and video to that blog will only be seen by people you specify. It's really private," Mullenweg said in an e-mail interview. "It's so easy to do. It's what I'd recommend for anyone who wants to keep things out of the public eye."
For Ferney, security isn't a worry. Although her site is primarily focused on design tips and trends, she just recently posted a picture of her son, Moses, from the day he turned 3 months old. Comments linked to the posting were from women who wrote about how cute Ferney's son was and also shared stories about their own children."It's more of an issue to get people to read blogs than to stop bad people from reading them," Ferney said. "A lot of people do those family blogs, and I could see how they could be more concerned, but I don't think there are that many people out to get people."
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 153
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Character counts, but politics, gender... 28
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6