Murray High School student David Archuleta will move on to the next round of "American Idol."
The 16-year-old sensation is one of 24 semifinalists chosen from a field of 50 by judges of Fox's hit reality show.
Other winners include Janis Joplin sound-alike Amanda Overmyer and Brooke White of California. White is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and claimed in her first audition to have never seen an R-rated movie.
One of the biggest upsets Wednesday night was the elimination of 18-year-old Josiah Leming, who seemed to be a judge favorite until his shaky rendition of "Stand By Me." Judges say Leming who lives in his car and sings with a faux British accent is too confident for his own good.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 67
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18