Aug. 21, 1927: Born in Salt Lake City to G. Spencer Monson and Gladys Condie Monson.
1945-46: Served in Navy in San Diego.
1948: Graduated with honors from the University of Utah with a bachelor's of science in marketing.
Oct. 7, 1948: Married Frances Johnson in the Salt Lake Temple.
1949: Named assistant classified advertising manager of the Deseret News.
1950: Named Deseret News classified advertising manager.
March 12, 1950: Sustained as second counselor in the 6th-7th Ward bishopric. Had previously been ward clerk and ward Young Men's president.
May 7, 1950: Sustained as bishop of the 6th-7th Ward.
1953: Appointed sales manager for Deseret News press.
June 26, 1955: Sustained as second counselor in the Temple View Stake presidency.
1958: Named assistant manager of Deseret News press.
1959: Called as president of the Canadian Mission.
Feb. 1, 1962: Sustained as a high councilor in the Valley View Stake.
April 1962: Named supervisor of Area No. 3 of stake missions.
May 1963: Named member of the Priesthood Home Teaching Committee.
Oct. 4, 1963: Called to the Quorum of the Twelve and ordained an apostle.
1974: Received master's of business administration from Brigham Young University.
April 1981: Received honorary doctorate of law from Brigham Young University.
Nov. 10, 1985: Set apart as second counselor in First Presidency to President Ezra Taft Benson.
Jan. 17, 1986: Dedicated the Buenos Aires Temple in Argentina.
June 5, 1994: Set apart as second counselor in First Presidency to President Howard W. Hunter
March 12, 1995: Set apart as first counselor in First Presidency to President Gordon B. Hinckley.
2000: Dedicated the Louisville Kentucky, Reno Nevada, Tampico Mexico, Villahermosa Mexico, Merida Yucatan Mexico and Veracruz Mexico temples.
Jan. 20, 2007: Received the Worldwide Humanitarian Award at the Salt Lake Rotary International convention.
Feb. 4, 2008: Announced as the 16th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19