Aug. 21, 1927: Born in Salt Lake City to G. Spencer Monson and Gladys Condie Monson.
1945-46: Served in Navy in San Diego.
1948: Graduated with honors from the University of Utah with a bachelor's of science in marketing.
Oct. 7, 1948: Married Frances Johnson in the Salt Lake Temple.
1949: Named assistant classified advertising manager of the Deseret News.
1950: Named Deseret News classified advertising manager.
March 12, 1950: Sustained as second counselor in the 6th-7th Ward bishopric. Had previously been ward clerk and ward Young Men's president.
May 7, 1950: Sustained as bishop of the 6th-7th Ward.
1953: Appointed sales manager for Deseret News press.
June 26, 1955: Sustained as second counselor in the Temple View Stake presidency.
1958: Named assistant manager of Deseret News press.
1959: Called as president of the Canadian Mission.
Feb. 1, 1962: Sustained as a high councilor in the Valley View Stake.
April 1962: Named supervisor of Area No. 3 of stake missions.
May 1963: Named member of the Priesthood Home Teaching Committee.
Oct. 4, 1963: Called to the Quorum of the Twelve and ordained an apostle.
1974: Received master's of business administration from Brigham Young University.
April 1981: Received honorary doctorate of law from Brigham Young University.
Nov. 10, 1985: Set apart as second counselor in First Presidency to President Ezra Taft Benson.
Jan. 17, 1986: Dedicated the Buenos Aires Temple in Argentina.
June 5, 1994: Set apart as second counselor in First Presidency to President Howard W. Hunter
March 12, 1995: Set apart as first counselor in First Presidency to President Gordon B. Hinckley.
2000: Dedicated the Louisville Kentucky, Reno Nevada, Tampico Mexico, Villahermosa Mexico, Merida Yucatan Mexico and Veracruz Mexico temples.
Jan. 20, 2007: Received the Worldwide Humanitarian Award at the Salt Lake Rotary International convention.
Feb. 4, 2008: Announced as the 16th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of...
- Mirror Lake Shoreline Trail closed through...
- I-15 in Weber County to close Wednesday,...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14