Aug. 21, 1927: Born in Salt Lake City to G. Spencer Monson and Gladys Condie Monson.
1945-46: Served in Navy in San Diego.
1948: Graduated with honors from the University of Utah with a bachelor's of science in marketing.
Oct. 7, 1948: Married Frances Johnson in the Salt Lake Temple.
1949: Named assistant classified advertising manager of the Deseret News.
1950: Named Deseret News classified advertising manager.
March 12, 1950: Sustained as second counselor in the 6th-7th Ward bishopric. Had previously been ward clerk and ward Young Men's president.
May 7, 1950: Sustained as bishop of the 6th-7th Ward.
1953: Appointed sales manager for Deseret News press.
June 26, 1955: Sustained as second counselor in the Temple View Stake presidency.
1958: Named assistant manager of Deseret News press.
1959: Called as president of the Canadian Mission.
Feb. 1, 1962: Sustained as a high councilor in the Valley View Stake.
April 1962: Named supervisor of Area No. 3 of stake missions.
May 1963: Named member of the Priesthood Home Teaching Committee.
Oct. 4, 1963: Called to the Quorum of the Twelve and ordained an apostle.
1974: Received master's of business administration from Brigham Young University.
April 1981: Received honorary doctorate of law from Brigham Young University.
Nov. 10, 1985: Set apart as second counselor in First Presidency to President Ezra Taft Benson.
Jan. 17, 1986: Dedicated the Buenos Aires Temple in Argentina.
June 5, 1994: Set apart as second counselor in First Presidency to President Howard W. Hunter
March 12, 1995: Set apart as first counselor in First Presidency to President Gordon B. Hinckley.
2000: Dedicated the Louisville Kentucky, Reno Nevada, Tampico Mexico, Villahermosa Mexico, Merida Yucatan Mexico and Veracruz Mexico temples.
Jan. 20, 2007: Received the Worldwide Humanitarian Award at the Salt Lake Rotary International convention.
Feb. 4, 2008: Announced as the 16th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Woman stole van, but returned after finding...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 44
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 28
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18