Ex-child bride writing tell-all
'Stolen Innocence' is expected in April; will cover Jeffs saga
The former child bride who helped convict polygamist leader Warren Jeffs has written a book about her life.
Elissa Wall's book, tentatively titled "Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Triumphing over Warren Jeffs," is scheduled to be published in April by William Morrow, a division of HarperCollins Publishers. Pre-order sales for the 288-page book have already showed up on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble's Web site.
"It's going to be a great book," Wall's attorney, Roger Hoole, told the Deseret Morning News Monday. "She's never told her story. She's only told little pieces of it."
Hoole declined to disclose the terms of Wall's publishing contract and said the book was still in progress. Representatives for the publishing company did not return a call seeking comment.
"She hopes it will help a lot of people," Hoole said. "It's her chance to fully tell her story."
Wall, 22, was the prosecution's star witness in the Washington County criminal case against the Fundamentalist LDS Church leader. She testified that at age 14, she was forced into a marriage with her 19-year-old cousin. It was Wall's emotional testimony that led to Jeffs' conviction on two counts of rape as an accomplice. He is accused of performing that marriage at a Caliente, Nev., motel room in 2002.
Jeffs, 52, is serving two 5-years-to-life sentences in the Utah State Prison. He has resigned as president of the FLDS Church, but it is unclear if he still remains the religious authority. His attorneys have filed a motion for a new trial that is scheduled to be heard April 24.Jeffs is facing more criminal charges in Arizona, one of which Wall is involved with. She has also filed a civil lawsuit against Jeffs, the FLDS Church and its real estate holdings arm, the United Effort Plan Trust.
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- Utahns react to death of former Salt Lake...
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years ......
- Hearing begins to determine fate of teen...
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 55
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 39
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 27
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 25
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 19
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 18
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina,... 12