Ex-child bride writing tell-all
'Stolen Innocence' is expected in April; will cover Jeffs saga
The former child bride who helped convict polygamist leader Warren Jeffs has written a book about her life.
Elissa Wall's book, tentatively titled "Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Triumphing over Warren Jeffs," is scheduled to be published in April by William Morrow, a division of HarperCollins Publishers. Pre-order sales for the 288-page book have already showed up on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble's Web site.
"It's going to be a great book," Wall's attorney, Roger Hoole, told the Deseret Morning News Monday. "She's never told her story. She's only told little pieces of it."
Hoole declined to disclose the terms of Wall's publishing contract and said the book was still in progress. Representatives for the publishing company did not return a call seeking comment.
"She hopes it will help a lot of people," Hoole said. "It's her chance to fully tell her story."
Wall, 22, was the prosecution's star witness in the Washington County criminal case against the Fundamentalist LDS Church leader. She testified that at age 14, she was forced into a marriage with her 19-year-old cousin. It was Wall's emotional testimony that led to Jeffs' conviction on two counts of rape as an accomplice. He is accused of performing that marriage at a Caliente, Nev., motel room in 2002.
Jeffs, 52, is serving two 5-years-to-life sentences in the Utah State Prison. He has resigned as president of the FLDS Church, but it is unclear if he still remains the religious authority. His attorneys have filed a motion for a new trial that is scheduled to be heard April 24.Jeffs is facing more criminal charges in Arizona, one of which Wall is involved with. She has also filed a civil lawsuit against Jeffs, the FLDS Church and its real estate holdings arm, the United Effort Plan Trust.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Skier rescued from Alta avalanche by...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 15
- Do Utah high school students need four... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 13
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12