1910: Born in Salt Lake City
1932: Graduates from the University of Utah
1933-35: Serves a full-time mission to the British Isles
1935: Works on the LDS Church's new Radio, Publicity and Mission Literature Committee
1937: Marries Marjorie Pay in the Salt Lake LDS Temple
1937: Called to the Deseret Sunday School Union Board
1956: Called as president of the East Millcreek Stake
1958: Sustained as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve
1961: Ordained an LDS apostle at age 51
1981: Called as a counselor to President Spencer W. Kimball
1982: Called as second counselor to President Kimball
1985: Called as first counselor to President Ezra Taft Benson
1994: Called as first counse-lor to President Howard W. Hunter
1995: Sustained as president of the LDS Church
1996: First Presidency issues Proclamation on the Family
1996: Becomes first president to visit mainland China
1999: Announces reconstruction of the Nauvoo LDS Temple (dedicated in 2002)
2000: Celebrates his 90th birthday; dedicates the Conference Center
2001: Creates the Perpetual Education Fund
2002: Becomes first president to visit Russia and the Ukraine
2004: Marjorie Pay Hinckley, President Hinckley's wife, dies at age 94
2004: Receives the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award
2005: Commemorates 10 years with Presidents Monson and Faust as a First Presidency
2005: Celebrates his 95th birthday
2006: Has surgery to remove a cancerous growth in his large intestine
2007: Rededicates renovated Salt Lake tabernacle
2007: Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center dedicated at BYU
2008: Rededicates Utah's renovated state Capitol
2008: He dies at home on Jan. 27
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- Salt Lake man killed, 3 others injured in...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 73
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17