1910: Born in Salt Lake City
1932: Graduates from the University of Utah
1933-35: Serves a full-time mission to the British Isles
1935: Works on the LDS Church's new Radio, Publicity and Mission Literature Committee
1937: Marries Marjorie Pay in the Salt Lake LDS Temple
1937: Called to the Deseret Sunday School Union Board
1956: Called as president of the East Millcreek Stake
1958: Sustained as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve
1961: Ordained an LDS apostle at age 51
1981: Called as a counselor to President Spencer W. Kimball
1982: Called as second counselor to President Kimball
1985: Called as first counselor to President Ezra Taft Benson
1994: Called as first counse-lor to President Howard W. Hunter
1995: Sustained as president of the LDS Church
1996: First Presidency issues Proclamation on the Family
1996: Becomes first president to visit mainland China
1999: Announces reconstruction of the Nauvoo LDS Temple (dedicated in 2002)
2000: Celebrates his 90th birthday; dedicates the Conference Center
2001: Creates the Perpetual Education Fund
2002: Becomes first president to visit Russia and the Ukraine
2004: Marjorie Pay Hinckley, President Hinckley's wife, dies at age 94
2004: Receives the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award
2005: Commemorates 10 years with Presidents Monson and Faust as a First Presidency
2005: Celebrates his 95th birthday
2006: Has surgery to remove a cancerous growth in his large intestine
2007: Rededicates renovated Salt Lake tabernacle
2007: Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center dedicated at BYU
2008: Rededicates Utah's renovated state Capitol
2008: He dies at home on Jan. 27
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Unmasked: How the dynamic duo behind Salt...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- 'Life-changing' program for families battles...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 197
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 61
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 41
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 37
- LDS statement could move Utah... 30
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21