A man apparently drowned after falling into an iced-over manure pit at a Cache County dairy, authorities said.
Sheriff's deputies said the 21-year-old Logan area man was rounding up some cows that got loose at a dairy near 200 West and 4000 South in Nibley around 9 a.m. Friday.
"He was walking around on this property," Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Matt Bilodeau told the Deseret Morning News. "Unbeknownst to him, they had a couple of natural manure pits. He walked out on the corner of one, not knowing what he was on top of. He broke through the ice and sunk into the manure pit."
Deputies said the pit is about 8-feet deep and is filled with cow manure, moisture, and ammonia from the urine, giving it a "soupy consistency."
"It is loose quicksand is what it is," Bilodeau said. "You can't swim in it. You're almost completely incapacitated in it."
When the man didn't come back after an hour and the loose cows were seen wandering around, co-workers went looking for him. They followed his tracks in the snow to the edge of the pit, which is surrounded by a berm.
Searchers responded immediately, putting a flat-bottom boat out on the pit. They used probes and ropes to find the man at the bottom of the pit and pull him out. He was pronounced dead at the scene, deputies said.Bilodeau said the man had only been working at the dairy for a couple of weeks. The Cache County Sheriff's Office said it was not releasing the man's name until next of kin could be notified.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11