Elder Gerald N. Lund, author of the "Work and the Glory" series, poses a key question in his new book, "Hearing the Voice of the Lord."
"How do I know for sure when it is the Lord speaking to me?" Elder Lund writes.
The longtime CES instructor and current member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy seeks to outline the methods by which we can not only receive, but also recognize revelation.
The subtitle of the book is "Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation." Elder Lund explores God's means of communicating with his children and how revelation is tailored to our individual characteristics. He also addresses how inspiration can serve as a guide through trials and how we can be more receptive to the Holy Ghost.
Among the other questions Lund proposes are: How do you distinguish between warnings from the Lord and our own worry? Do we ever expect too much? Can we misinterpret spiritual experiences? And how can we best use the gift of the Holy Ghost?
At the end of the first chapter, Elder Lund writes: "What we want to know is: How does all of this work for me?"
The pages of the book are also supplemented with breakout quotes from Church leaders relevant to the topics of discussion.
"Hearing the Voice of the Lord" is published by Deseret Book (November, 2007).
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Seventh-day Adventist leader calls on family...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 50
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 32
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 24
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- After government topples crosses in... 11