Elder Gerald N. Lund, author of the "Work and the Glory" series, poses a key question in his new book, "Hearing the Voice of the Lord."
"How do I know for sure when it is the Lord speaking to me?" Elder Lund writes.
The longtime CES instructor and current member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy seeks to outline the methods by which we can not only receive, but also recognize revelation.
The subtitle of the book is "Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation." Elder Lund explores God's means of communicating with his children and how revelation is tailored to our individual characteristics. He also addresses how inspiration can serve as a guide through trials and how we can be more receptive to the Holy Ghost.
Among the other questions Lund proposes are: How do you distinguish between warnings from the Lord and our own worry? Do we ever expect too much? Can we misinterpret spiritual experiences? And how can we best use the gift of the Holy Ghost?
At the end of the first chapter, Elder Lund writes: "What we want to know is: How does all of this work for me?"
The pages of the book are also supplemented with breakout quotes from Church leaders relevant to the topics of discussion.
"Hearing the Voice of the Lord" is published by Deseret Book (November, 2007).
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir members react to...
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy Scout...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 260
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 38
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 26
- The spiritual side effects of viewing... 25
- Religious groups react to Boy... 24
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 18
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- ... 8