Provided by Garfield County Attorney's office
A man accused of going on a bizarre shooting rampage that left a Panguitch area man paralyzed struck a plea deal with prosecutors Friday.
Court records show that Jasson Hines, 24, pleaded guilty to a first-degree felony charge of attempted murder during a hearing in Panguitch's 6th District Court. In exchange, Garfield County prosecutors dropped another attempted murder charge, a drug charge and several charges of assault against a police officer.
Hines was sentenced to serve four years to life in prison for the crime and is expected to be transported soon to the Utah State Prison. Restitution to his victims has not been determined yet, court records said.
Hines is accused of walking up to Tracy Armstrong at the Blue Springs Lodge near Panguitch Lake in August 2007, and shooting him four times at point-blank range with a handgun. Armstrong managed cabins there, and Hines was supposed to be vacationing there.
After shooting Armstrong in the chest, neck and shoulder, police said Hines taunted the bleeding man by shouting things like, "You're gonna die," and "You're evil." He also shot at Armstrong's son, then ran into a nearby campground and tried to grab a child.
Authorities said it took three Garfield County sheriff's deputies and a Utah Highway Patrol trooper to subdue Hines, who was fighting with them as he was being arrested.
Armstrong continues to recover, although his family said in a recent post on a blog they keep that he is in a considerable amount of pain lately.
"Thanks for making Tracy smile amidst all of his problems," his wife Lynn wrote. "He is trying to be happy as much as possible."A fund has been set up to help the Armstrong family at Zions Bank.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8